Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Clinton To The UN...

This past weekend I was at the local watering hole talking with a friend of mine who is a U.S. Senate staffer with the Armed Forces Committee. We were talking some baseball, weather and politics. This is when he floated an idea of the White House withdrawing John Bolton’s U. N. nomination and replacing it with Bill Clinton. I nearly choked on my beer when he said that. “Are you nuts? What are you drinking there?” I asked him. He then began to explain his thinking and to me it began to make more sense.

John Bolton will not be very effective in the U.N. after all he has gone through during the nomination process. The rest of the members of the U.N. are going to know he doesn’t have the full support of the Congress and are likely to act accordingly. Most of the U. N. member countries like and respect Bill Clinton. I am not quite sure if that is a good or bad thing. For all his problems as President I do think Bill Clinton is an American first. He would do what is best for this country. I didn’t care for him as President and didn’t vote for him but never doubted his love for this country. Okay, so far I am listening to my friend’s idea.

Now comes the real beauty he tells me. If Bill Clinton is nominated as the United States delegate to the U.N. the liberals and Democrats cant possibly oppose it. This should give the White House some more help with Supreme Court nominations. The Republicans can get some mileage from this appointment. With Bill Clinton as the U. N. Delegate it would seem that Hillary couldn’t throw her hat in the ring in 2008 as a Democratic presidential candidate. She would most likely have to recuse herself. I honestly feel she does not want to run for President. I don’t think she wants to have all those skeletons dragged back out of her closet. Whitewater, Travelgate, Vince Foster and Universal health care to name a few. This would give her the out she needs. This appointment would also not allow him to go out on the campaign trail in 2006 and 2008. “But wait” I tell my friend, “When he goes out to help a Democratic candidate they have been losing lately.” My friend tells me that he may not help the candidate by going to rallies but he does manage to raise a lot of money. We all know that whoever has the most money in a campaign stands a much better chance of winning. It’s a win-win for the Republicans. “I’ll have to think about this for a while but so far it sounds like a decent idea.” I tell him.

Just then the Washington Nationals scored some runs to take the lead and the conversation went back to baseball…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home